My husband has early onset dementia at 73 yrs. old. How do I convince him we need to move to an assisted living facility? -Betty D.

This would be a difficult situation if only one of you needed help. You don’t mention whether you have a support system of any kind. Do you have children, other family, or friends to reach out to? This isn’t something you should try to shoulder on your own, especially when you have your own challenges.

You will need support, maybe some legal advice, and actual physical assistance with a move and all the associated issues. If you have a support network in place, enlist them to help you look for a place where the two of you can both have your needs met. They should have a continuum of care for increased needs in the future. Start preparing your husband for the changes ahead. You’ll want someone besides you to reinforce the reality of your situation with him. Begin getting some help immediately with the tasks of daily living, until you are relocated. If you don’t have a support network of your own, start one. Call your doctor’s office and ask for recommendations for a social worker or health care case manager. You can also contact the Alzheimer’s Association for information about your local services and programs. They have a 24 hour helpline: 1-800-3900. Or look online: 24/7 Helpline: 1.800.272.3900 | Alzheimer’s Association

Recent Mondays with Mimi

Ask Mimi

If you have a question for Mimi related to dementia care at home, you may contact her with the form below